Bussell Highway widening priority

Jackson Lavell-LeeBusselton Dunsborough Times
Email Jackson Lavell-Lee
Capes politicans are pushing for the dualling of Bussell Highway between Capel and Busselton to be fast-tracked.
Camera IconCapes politicans are pushing for the dualling of Bussell Highway between Capel and Busselton to be fast-tracked. Credit: Jackson Lavell-Lee/Busselton-Dunsborough Times, Jackson Lavell-Lee

The widening of Bussell Highway between Capel and Busselton has been identified as a project which could be fast-tracked to assist with the South West’s economic recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic.

Transport Minister Rita Saffioti said though the State Government wished to speed up the development, recent pre-construction works required up to 12 months to settle before construction could start.

Ms Saffioti said she had written to the Federal Government in March about a package of works that could be fast-tracked including duplicating the carriageway on the notorious stretch of Bussell Highway.

“We eagerly await the Federal Government’s response to our proposal,” she said.

“The State Government is also developing a package of regional works projects, including some in the South West, that could potentially be brought forward and commence construction in the next three to six months to assist small to medium-sized contractors.

“That package is expected to be finalised over the next couple of weeks.”

Vasse MLA Mettam said the Bussell Highway duplication remained outstanding and with preliminary works under way it presented an ideal opportunity to extend the works beyond Hutton Road.

“This is a great opportunity to meet our shared goal of growing tourism and regional development and jobs, at a time where these markets are under pressure from the effects of the coronavirus and the impact of the Eastern States bushfires,” she said.

“Regional tourism is a challenge and in the current environment in particular there is a role for the State Government to look at funding initiatives which can stimulate the economy and create jobs.”

Last week, Glenn William Bailey appeared in Busselton Magistrate’s Court charged after allegedly driving on the wrong side of the Bussell Highway single carriageway in January, killing Pemberton potato farmer Tom Fox.

Bailey is due to reappear in Busselton Magistrates Court on May 26.

Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails