A twice-postponed flight route from Busselton to Melbourne is expected to plough ahead at the end of this month despite a gruelling COVID-19 outbreak in Victoria. Flights between the two cities were halted in March last year and again in February, but Jetstar confirmed the airline still aimed to welcome passengers on its aircraft from June 26. It comes after Melbourne was thrust into a seven-day lockdown, now extended to 14 days. A spokesman for Jetstar confirmed the company was hopeful to launch the route as planned but conceded it would depend on the status of the now closed interstate border. He said though tickets for the much-anticipated flights were still being snatched up, an extension of the lockdown past June 10 would force the airline to re-evaluate the launch date. City of Busselton mayor Grant Henley was crossing his fingers the service wouldn’t have to be pushed back again. “We remain hopeful that the new Jetstar service will commence late this month as planned,” he said. “(But) if that is not the case due to COVID-19 restrictions, we will continue to wait.” The new route will mark Jetstar as It would be the first commercial airline to link the Eastern States to the Margaret River Region with flights expected to operate on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Saturdays for $149 one-way. The initiative is expected to bring about 60,000 visitors to the area over the next three years, and contribute more than $40 million to the WA economy over this period. Cr Henley said if the route was postponed again, the airport would be well supported by its Fly In Fly Out operations.