City claim ladies’ crown with season’s 100th goal

Steve GibsonBusselton Dunsborough Times
Keely Milner wins the ball against Australind
Camera IconKeely Milner wins the ball against Australind Credit: Sharon Cowley

The Sportspower Busselton City ladies’ premier league were crowned South West Soccer Association champions on Sunday, scoring their 100th goal in the process.

City overcame some enterprising play from second-placed Australind to record a 6-1 win.

Centre-back Madee Rice did an excellent job policing Australind’s front two, while full-backs Hannah Armstrong and Kayla Wright spent almost as much time on attack as on defence.

Promising goalkeeper Nicole Roque impressed with her intelligent positional play and accurate distribution. After Therese Charlton opened the scoring and grabbed a second, Siobhan Longmore stamped her mark on the game with a hat-trick.

In the second half, Busselton’s Chenaye Wright outpaced a tiring opposition to complete the scoring.

The ladies reserve side remain in premiership contention despite having to settle for a 2-2 draw against Australind.

With an ounce of luck Busselton could have grabbed the winning goal just on the full-time whistle.

Strikers Emily Killick and Finlay Godden found the back of the net before Australind equalised midway through the second half.

City now must defeat leaders Blackwood United on Sunday to keep their hopes alive.

With defenders Claire Marchand-Jones and Mel Scott in good form and a return from injury by the experienced Danielle Paull, Busselton certainly have the goods to win what promises to be a hard-fought encounter.

Despite ideal playing conditions, CMI Busselton City men’s premier team failed to fire in their 2-1 loss at Australind.

After finding themselves a goal down in the first half Busselton fought their way back into the game courtesy of a Martin Ryan header.

But in the second spell Busselton reverted to a long-ball game which proved to be ineffective. With only five minutes remaining a square-looking Busselton defence was caught out and Australind notched the deciding goal.

The men’s reserve team led Australind 1-0 for over an hour after Shane Russell displayed considerable composure in front of goal.

City should have gone further ahead but a missed penalty proved costly as Australind then grabbed the ascendancy. It was no surprise when they equalised and went looking for the winner.

Get the latest news from in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails