Courts and pavilion in line for revamp
Lou Weston Oval’s outdoor courts and the Lois Hannay pavilion will soon undergo a $1.7 million revamp, jointly funded by the State Government, City of Busselton and Busselton Netball Association.
The redevelopment comes amid sustained pressure for more infrastructure across the rapidly growing region and a renewed look into the City’s sporting priorities.
Minister for Sport Mick Murray met with councillors, stakeholders and sporting groups on Wednesday to contribute $400,000 from the Community Sporting and Recreation Facilities Fund to the grounds, which accommodate thousands of players each week.
The pavilion will be redeveloped and the number of courts will be increased from nine to 12, with half the courts to be marked for multi-use.
Mr Murray said it was difficult to get funding to all sporting groups across WA’s local government areas but the McGowan Government was committed to supporting grassroots sport.
“I’ve been speaking with a lot of clubs (about the need for funding) but $12 million a year only goes so far,” he told the Times.
“We try to make it fair and take demographics into consideration. It’s a very hard balancing act.”
State Government funding decisions are guided by local government priorities and Busselton Mayor Grant Henley confirmed the City was in the throes of assessing those.
Cr Henley said the City acknowledged the need for a strategy that would extend across all sports and underpin masterplans for the Geographe Leisure Centre and Naturaliste Community Centre.
Consultation has started on the Sport and Recreation Facilities Strategy and the City hopes it will be completed by the end of the year.
“It (the strategy) will explore all sorts of options ... and take a holistic long-term approach, rather than piecemeal and ad hoc developments,” Cr Henley said.
“We have to be mindful that everything has to be multi-use.
“We have to be realistic in what we can afford.”
Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.
Sign up for our emails