Crash ignites concern
The collision between a campervan and a mobile crane last week has brought back into focus the need to address safety concerns about the Busselton Bypass and Fairway Drive intersection, at which there were 30 crashes between 2012 and 2016.
Emergency services attended the crash last Thursday about 3pm.
The two backpackers in the campervan narrowly escaped injury. A third vehicle was also involved, Busselton Sergeant Peter Richards said, adding it was “very fortunate” no one was seriously injured considering the damage to the campervan.
“It’s a bad intersection. We’ve had quite a few crashes,” he said.
A Main Roads WA spokeswoman said safety needs were being addressed and speed limits had been lowered from 90km/h to 80km/h on the road in 2016.
“We are continuing to progress the design and pre-construction activities for a roundabout at the intersection of Bussell Highway and Fairway Drive,” she said.
“The design process has identified the need to acquire private land, and has noted that a number of services will be impacted.”
The spokeswoman confirmed environmental approvals, land acquisition and the relocation or modification of affected services were taking place, programmed to be completed by the end of 2018.
Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.
Sign up for our emails