Eastern Link opening

Jackson Lavell-LeeBusselton Dunsborough Times
Email Jackson Lavell-Lee
The new Eastern Link bridge
Camera IconThe new Eastern Link bridge Credit: Jackson Lavell-Lee/Busselton-Dunsborough Times, Jackson Lavell-Lee

The Eastern Link bridge development across the Lower Vasse River will be opened by Forrest MHR Nola Marino and City of Busselton deputy mayor Kelly Hick today.

Members of the public are welcome to join the opening at 4pm at the City of Busselton chambers.

Ms Marino said the Australian Government committed $1.7 million to the important project from its Bridges Renewal program.

“The new bridge means improved efficiency and connectivity to a community that is experiencing continual growth in both population and visitors to the region,” she said.

The City’s Mayor, Grant Henley said the bridge was a major milestone for improving the City’s overall road network.

“Together with the construction of the new roundabout at Rosemary Drive and the extension of Cammilleri Street, these works provide a much needed second entrance point into the town centre,” he said.

The City hopes the new entrance point will reduce congestion in the town centre and Causeway Road, provide quicker access to East Busselton and Geographe Marina, offer an alternative entry and exit point for emergency vehicles and direct tourist traffic directly to caravan parks and the Busselton foreshore.

The controversial Eastern Link development was met with opposition from Busselton residents last year with a small group of around 20 protestors refusing to move for preliminary construction works.

The bridge is expected to be open to vehicles from 4.30pm on Friday.

Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails