Fireys battle blazes
Authorities have issued a timely reminder about fire safety after crews responded to three blazes in two days.
Fires in West Busselton, Geographe and Yalyalup occurred on Sunday and Monday, when temperatures peaked in the high 30Cs.
A house fire broke out on Moore Street, West Busselton, about 6pm on Sunday, destroying a family home.
Three crews from Busselton Volunteer Fire and Rescue service attended the blaze but asbestos risks delayed efforts by 45 minutes.
While no cause has yet been determined, Busselton police officer-in-charge Detective Senior Sergeant Manus Walsh said arson had been ruled out.
“The cause of the fire is still being assessed but initially we believe it was an electrical malfunction that got into the asbestos,” he said. “The place is pretty much wrecked; it’s set to be demolished.”
Two tradesman assessed the damage on Monday afternoon and said not much could be done to restore the home.
The same day, fire and emergency services were called to a house in Geographe where the owner was burning wood, despite a total fire ban being in place until February 28.
The following day a bushfire broke out in Yalyalup, near the intersection of Vasse Highway and Paterson Drive.
About 40 firefighters from the bushfire service, volunteer crews and Parks and Wildlife attended, aided with aerial support. An all-clear was issued the following morning, but the cause remains unknown.
Residents are urged to adhere to fire bans and have a bushfire plan in place.
Go to the Department of Fire and Emergency Services website for more information on firesafety.
Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.
Sign up for our emails