Freight hub completed
The first phase of development at the Busselton Margaret River International Airport was unveiled on Friday, with the Busselton Freight Hub opened for private investment.
The Freight Hub was funded by a $1.47 million investment from the Federal Government as part of its Building Better Regions program, which was matched by the City of Busselton.
Forrest MHR Nola Marino said the hub enabled further access to the South West market.
“I am inordinately proud of local businesses for putting us on the map, and this project will increase the opportunities for those businesses to access markets such as Japan, Indonesia and Hong Kong,” she said.
City of Busselton Mayor Grant Henley said the investment held benefits for the entire State.
“Congratulations to the airport development team for delivering the project under-budget and on time and winning an engineering award,” he said
“This is the first freight hub in the South West enabling local businesses to expand domestic markets and develop international markets,” he said.
City of Bunbury Mayor Gary Brennan said Bunbury had been a strong supporter of an international airport in Busselton since day one.
“The South West population is currently around 175,000 people and by 2030 is estimated to grow to over 212,000, this airport is essential to the growth of the south west,” he said.
The second phase of the development is in progress, with businesses expressing interest in leasing the seven blocks available, allowing close access to wide-bodied aircraft.
Ocean Grown Abalone director Bradley Adams said the freight hub would ensure more reliable supply of product.
“This development supports small agricultural businesses by cutting travel time to foreign markets,” he said.
“The Development of Hangers will take at least one year, but this is a significant step towards an alternative international runway in Busselton,” Mr Henley said.
Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.
Sign up for our emails