Hungry Hawks hold off Pies

Chloe FraserBusselton Dunsborough Times
Augusta-Margaret River Hawks' Harry Morgan taps the ball from Pies opponent.
Camera IconAugusta-Margaret River Hawks' Harry Morgan taps the ball from Pies opponent. Credit: Chloe Fraser

Augusta-Margaret River have rebounded from last week’s 31-point loss against Eaton Boomers, winning the Busselton Toyota Cup by 18 points from their Cape rivals at Gloucester Park last Saturday.

The Hawks were back with a vengeance, taking control of the game early to record a 10.11 (71) to 8.5 (53) victory against Busselton.

Jumping out of the blocks, Busselton looked confident to start but could not keep up with Hawks.

Each team kicked two goals in the first quarter but the Hawks got away in the second term, booting three goals to take the lead 5.3 (33) to 3.2 (20) at half-time.

Get in front of tomorrow's news for FREE

Journalism for the curious Australian across politics, business, culture and opinion.


Busselton created several opportunities in the second half, consistently setting up from their back half.

But it seemed Augusta-Marga-ret River were always one step ahead.

Hawks’ Mitch Payne kicked the first goal of the second half and the Hawks piled on the next three.

Busselton booted their first and only goal of the third quarter minutes before the siren, but the Hawks were 9.5 (59) to 4.4 (28).

While the final term was the biggest for the Magpies, the Hawks applied pressure working with a good spread through the midfield and forward line.

Hawks’ Kane Hadden played well across half-back and Harry Morgan had a good game in the ruck.

Coach Matt Jamieson said players brought the pressure early, which helped to secure the win.

“Derbies are always a tight battle,” he said.

“We’re very happy with how we controlled the game. Just probably a little bit disappointed that we didn’t finish it off but it’s good to get a home win.”

Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails