Man in pharmacy stand-off in custody

Catherine MasseyBusselton Dunsborough Times
Paramedics prepare a stretcher to take the alleged knife-wielding man to Hospital.
Camera IconParamedics prepare a stretcher to take the alleged knife-wielding man to Hospital.

A man who was allegedly armed and involved in a half-hour Busselton shopping centre incident on Tuesday that caused an evacuation, was taken to hospital under police guard the same day.

Polices swarmed the Broadwater Shopping Village just after midday after the man entered HealthSave Pharmacy, allegedly armed with a knife.

It is understood he had travelled to Busselton from the metropolitan area on Tuesday morning and was known to police.

The Times was told South West police officers spotted a white Toyota Prado driving in an erratic manner before the incident.

It is believed a stinger device was deployed after a short pursuit and the man driving the ute ran into the pharmacy, on the corner of Bussell Highway and Holgate Road, about 11.40am.

The incident caused shoppers at the centre to be evacuated.

Police began negotiations with the man and he voluntarily surrendered to police about 12.15pm.

He was arrested and taken to the Busselton Hospital by St John Ambulance while police searched his car, bagging all personal belongings. Busselton resident Craig Thumor arrived at the shopping centre during the incident and said he was concerned by the police cars and an ambulance surrounding the shopping centre.

“I saw a four-wheel-drive with four flat tyres, police everywhere — they completely surrounded the place,” Mr Thumor said.

“They brought a bloke out on a stretcher and put him in the ambulance, and then police followed him to the hospital.”

Mr Thumor said although concerned, he wasn’t scared. “I just wanted to go to the shops,” he said.

Heavily armed officers from the Tactical Response Group were on their way to the scene when the incident was resolved.

Police said no one was injured.

Get the latest news from in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails