Marine search continues

Jackson Lavell-LeeBusselton Dunsborough Times
Signs at Injidup Natural Spa depicting the dangerous conditions.
Camera IconSigns at Injidup Natural Spa depicting the dangerous conditions. Credit: Jackson Lavell-Lee

Rescuers are continuing the search for 23-year-old Singaporean national Heng Yi Go swept off rocks this week near Yallingup.

Drones and jet skis from Surf lifesaving WA have joined the search as have Naturaliste Volunteer Marine Rescue with conditions improving today.

Mr Go was swept off rocks at tourist hotspot Injidup natural spa on Monday at 5.10pm and hope that his body will be found is fading.

He is the third foreign tourist to be swept off rocks on Cape Naturaliste this year.

Loi Ho Dinh, 28, was swept out to sea on March 20 after abalone fishing in knee-deep water at Sugarloaf Rock. Three weeks ago a man was saved after a drone operator guided police to where he had managed to climb up on rocks, again at Sugarloaf Rock.

The rescue and tragic disappearances have led to calls for the City of Busselton and Department of Biodiversity Conservation and Attractions to implement multilingual signs at dangerous coastal tourist attractions.

City of Busselton Mayor Grant Henley said he would support a joint venture between DBCA and the City to warn tourists of coastal dangers.

“Most of the coastal rock fishing areas that are popular are inherently dangerous, we’re happy to work with DBCA and we worked with them for installation for the beach identification signage for shark tags but there’s also opportunities to include other information on the dangers of the coastal environment,” he said.

Police search for missing man Heng Yi Go on Tuesday
Camera IconPolice search for missing man Heng Yi Go on Tuesday Credit: Jackson Lavell-Lee

Swells of up to 6m meant a helicopter and marine search were unable to locate Mr Go before the search was stopped.

Mr Go was taking photos at Injidup Rocks with a group of five friends on Monday afternoon. He was in Australia on a student visa studying a masters of economics at the University of WA.

Dunsborough police Sgt Jane Gillham said police searched the rocks in Wyadup Bay and Injidup Beach with nothing found.

“After the first wave hit him he slid back off the rock, climbed back up again and was hit by a second wave,” she said.

“We’ve had to stand down the volunteer marine rescue boat because the swell was just too big and put the volunteers at too great of a risk.”

The RAC Rescue Helicopter conducted a four-nautical mile search of the area using FLIR thermal camera and spot lights.

The Australian High Commission in Singapore is assisting the family with an exemption application to travel to the South West.

Get the latest news from in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails