Response praised after car fire at shopping village
A car fire erupted at Broadwater Shopping Village on Wednesday at 4.55pm but a prompt response from Busselton fire emergency services had the 2m-high flames out in five minutes.
Broadwater Village managers and staff were quick to evacuate the building and use a fire hose reel for initial extinguishing.
The fire left the front end of the car incinerated. The reason for the fire is unknown. Busselton Volunteer Fire and Rescue Lieutenant Mark Box said it was just bad luck. “It can be anything, it could be down to maintenance, could be down to overheating or faulty electronics,” Mr Box said.
“We do get a fair few arson calls but this one doesn’t seem to show any of those signs.
“We put it out with one crew and breathing apparatus.”
Mr Box said the first priority in a situation like this was safety. “It is important to stay away from the flames on the initial attack, the building centre management evacuated perfectly and everything was done right,” he said. “Having working hose reels potentially saved the building today.” Car owner Melissa Drake said she was shaken by the incident. “I’d just gotten back from a delivery and I heard the bell ring so I rushed in to serve someone and forgot to turn the car off,” she said.
“Ten minutes later it was on fire.
“I used four fire extinguisher cylinders but it wouldn’t go out, I had to get out of there.” Ms Drake said she was overwhelmed by gestures and messages of support from the community.
Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.
Sign up for our emails