Strong field expected for annual race
Local and intrastate athletes will compete in the annual Busselton Marathon on Sunday, which will be the first time the event course has been eligible for international marathon qualifications.
Busselton Marathon race director Andy Wilkinson said the event had been running since 2013 and finally had a concrete course after years of interruptions due to foreshore works.
“This year is a little bit special — coming out of COVID people are looking to get back into their running, and I know we’ve got a fairly strong field of people coming down from the north all looking for qualifying times for bigger events all over the world once restrictions are lifted,” he said.
This year’s event will abide by COVID-19 rules with a start line restructure which will divide the 400 athletes into 10 groups for a wave start.
Volunteers are urged to put their hand up before Sunday. Email email@example.com
Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.
Sign up for our emails