A Kalgoorlie-Boulder man admitted to stealing a TV after entering a home while the owner was on holiday but told the court the house had been broken into and burgled by someone else before him. Cliff Milton Ashwin, 54, was convicted in Kalgoorlie District Court on Monday for breaking into two homes and stealing items — including a credit card which he fraudulently used on three occasions — earlier this year. One of those burglaries occurred between March 25 and April 9 while the resident was on holiday, with Ashwin stealing a 65-inch smart TV. The repeat offender’s lawyer Carmel McKenzie told the court the long list of items thought to be stolen from the home — which State prosecutor Matthew Thompson almost read to the court — was not applicable in the matter. The court was told the items on that list, Ashwin claimed, were items that could have been stolen when another burglar broke into the house — something that was deduced because Ashwin told his lawyer he never broke into the house, he just entered it after someone else had already tampered with it. Ms McKenzie said the facts of Ashwin’s case had been amended to reflect the fact he only took the TV from the home, which was valued at $2500. Mr Thompson agreed and said the case involved Ashwin entering the home through an ensuite, rummaging through multiple rooms while taking his time to look at items. In the end, he left with just the TV. Mr Thompson said the burglary had occurred about a little more than a month after Ashwin broke into a Boulder home while the 68-year-old resident slept in another room overnight on February 17. Ashwin entered the property through a side gate then cut a hole in a fly screen door and unlatched the door. While inside, he collected a tablet, a phone and a bank card, but he was disturbed, and fled the home out the same way he entered because he heard the man snoring in another room. From 7.20am that same day, he used the stolen card on three occasions to purchase cigarettes, tobacco, scratchies, and two drinks before he was later arrested. When police searched his home, Ashwin admitted to having the stolen items but initially denied being involved with the burglaries. Ms McKenzie said during the first break-in he did not know anyone was home, and would not have committed the burglary if he had known someone was inside sleeping. She said he had regular issues with drug abuse, with the use of meth causing him several issues in his life. Ms McKenzie said Ashwin knew, as a repeat offender, he would be sentenced to at least two years behind bars. However, she said, he was determined to get his life back on track once he was released. Mr Thompson said the offending was serious and told the court people were “entitled” to feel safe within their own homes. He said the victim who was asleep in the home had not known he had been burgled until later that day, which Mr Thompson told the court would have been frightening. Mr Thompson said this was Ashwin’s sixth strike for home burglaries. The District Court judge said the incidents were not “opportunistic”, and instead involved significant premeditation and came with the risk of confrontation because, at least at the first home, someone was there. The judge said the man started offending in 1981 and had continued since. The judge said he remained a high-risk of reoffending until his drug use was addressed. Although he must expect a term of imprisonment, the judge said that had clearly not deterred him in the past. Ashwin was sentenced to three years and three months behind bars, with the two burglary terms being 30 months, and two years, but running concurrently. The remainder of that time is made up of three separate three-month sentences on the fraud charges, which will run cumulatively on the others.