Home

Matildas captain Sam Kerr to have trial heard in 2025 after judge cancels preliminary hearing

Hannah CrossThe West Australian
Matildas captain Sam Kerr will not appear in court until next year.
Camera IconMatildas captain Sam Kerr will not appear in court until next year. Credit: Bradley Kanaris/Getty Images

Matildas captain Sam Kerr will not appear in court until next year after a preliminary hearing scheduled for Monday was cancelled.

Lawyers for the Perth-raised striker were due in London’s Kingston Crown Court to attempt to have the criminal charge of racially aggravated harassment against her thrown out.

Kerr’s powerhouse legal team, led by UK barrister Grace Forbes, were set to argue an abuse of process after the football star was charged more than a year after the alleged incident.

But the judge in the case has now cancelled the hearing following two delays.

Get in front of tomorrow's news for FREE

Journalism for the curious Australian across politics, business, culture and opinion.

READ NOW

A clerk for the court said, “All issues between the parties have now been resolved”.

“The next date we have for the case is the trial date of February 3 next year,” the clerk said.

“The judge agreed for this to be the case administratively. Monday’s hearing is no longer needed.”

Kerr is accused of racially harassing a police officer — identified as PC Stephen Lovell — when he was called to diffuse a dispute over a taxi fare outside Twickenham Police Station in South West London on January 30 last year.

It is alleged the West Aussie called the cop a “stupid white bastard” or “stupid white cop”.

The 30-year-old was allegedly sick in the back of the cab following a night out when police were called. She then allegedly made the remark.

Almost a year after the incident, she was charged with using insulting, threatening or abusive words that caused alarm or distress to the officer.

Kerr’s legal team, led by UK barrister Grace Forbes, were set to argue an abuse of process after the football star was charged more than a year after the alleged incident.
Camera IconKerr’s legal team, led by UK barrister Grace Forbes, were set to argue an abuse of process after the football star was charged more than a year after the alleged incident. Credit: Sandra Jackson/supplied

Court documents earlier this year also revealed that the Chelsea striker was taken into custody on the night in question, where it is believed she was interviewed and detained following her arrest.

The court transcripts also say there are several body camera clips filmed by police of the alleged incident, which are set to be used as evidence.

Kerr pleaded not guilty at a court appearance in March and will now face trial from February 3, 2025.

Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails