Home

Sydney Swans scandal: New details emerge over alleged East Melbourne Pullman Hotel incident

Headshot of Kimberley Braddish
VideoThe Sydney Swans sexual assault scandal continues to escalate with former player Taylor Adams now linked to the alleged hotel room incident under police investigation.

New details have emerged about the alleged incident involving five Sydney Swans players at a Melbourne hotel, with reports detailing what was allegedly happening inside the room before a woman raised a complaint.

Victoria Police’s Sexual Crimes Squad is investigating an alleged sexual assault at the Pullman Hotel in East Melbourne in the early hours of Monday morning, following the Swans’ win over Essendon at the MCG.

The club has confirmed five players were in the hotel room at the centre of the investigation. The players are Isaac Heeney, Chad Warner, Nick Blakey, James Jordon and Riley Bice.

However, the number of people allegedly inside the room has been disputed.

The woman at the centre of the allegations claim as many as nine men were present in the room.

The Swans have strongly rejected any suggestion more than five players were in the room, saying on Friday it was considering its legal position and condemning what it described as “misinformation”.

The Game AFL Finals 2026

The Swans have continued their efforts to clean up the turmoil surrounding their club. Picture: NewsWire/ Gaye Gerard.
Camera IconThe Swans have continued their efforts to clean up the turmoil surrounding their club. NewsWire/ Gaye Gerard. Credit: News Corp Australia

The club said on Friday that its investigations had “consistently indicated” the only club representatives in the room were the five suspended players and said it had “every reason to consider that reports to the contrary are simply false”.

The Age has also reported that former Swans player Taylor Adams visited the hotel room at some point during the night. Adams is understood to be a close friend of Heeney.

Taylor Adams retired from AFL in June, 2026.
Camera IconTaylor Adams retired from AFL in June, 2026. Credit: News Corp Australia

According to a new Code Sports report, cocaine and ketamine were allegedly being used inside the room.

The report follows earlier ABC reporting that Victoria Police had been told some Sydney players allegedly paid adult entertainers to consume drugs from their bodies.

Code Sports has also reported that the atmosphere in the room allegedly changed after one of the women claimed she had been touched in a way that went beyond what had been agreed.

One woman allegedly became enraged after a man in the room slapped her buttocks four times when three had allegedly been agreed.

The report further alleges that the complaint caused a commotion before one of the women was locked outside the room wearing very little clothing shortly before 7am.

The Pullman Hotel, with the MGC in the window reflection, in Melbourne, Monday, August 17, 2026. (AAP Image/Jay Kogler) NO ARCHIVING
Camera IconThe Pullman Hotel, with the MGC in the window reflection, in Melbourne, Monday, August 17, 2026. (AAP Image/Jay Kogler) NO ARCHIVING Credit: Jay Kogler/AAPIMAGE

The two women had reportedly been booked through Party Girls Melbourne after 4am and were later seen in the hotel foyer speaking with hotel staff and Swans employees.

Swans coach Dean Cox was among those seen in the foyer. There is no suggestion he was inside the hotel room during the alleged incident.

Sydney Swans senior coach Dean Cox.
Camera IconSydney Swans senior coach Dean Cox. Credit: Nadir Kinani NewsWire/NCA NewsWire

Lawyer John Karantzis, who represents two of the women, told 7NEWS on Friday that his clients were subjected to “degrading behaviour” that was not consented to.

“I can confirm the behaviour was physical and not consented to, but I can’t go into detail,” he claims.

Mr Karantzis said the women had been booked to “perform services” but alleged the situation escalated after behaviour crossed a line, prompting the women to stop the transaction and call for help.

“The unacceptable behaviour crossed the line,” Mr Karantzis told 7NEWS, describing the alleged conduct as abusive and saying it made the women uncomfortable.

He alleged the women had been told there would be five men in the room, but claimed there were “approximately 10 men” who placed “immense pressure” on the three women.

“They said no repeatedly, however, the allegation is that was not complied with,” he said.

Mr Karantzis also claimed there were “various officials” in the room, alleging there were “approximately eight or 10 players”. The Swans have categorically denied that more than the five suspended players were present.

He said the women had undergone DNA testing and were cooperating with the Victoria Police investigation, but were in a “fragile mental state” following the alleged incident.

“They’re traumatised,” Mr Karantzis said, claiming the women were suffering stress and anxiety and were fearful because of online trolling.

All five players have denied criminal wrongdoing. Police have not charged any of the players and the investigation remains ongoing.

This masthead is not suggesting the players are guilty of any wrongdoing, just that they are assisting police with enquiries.

Swans players including Chad Warner, James Jordon, Riley Bice and Isaac Heeney have been stood down for the rest of the season.
Camera IconSwans players including Chad Warner, James Jordon, Riley Bice and Isaac Heeney have been stood down for the rest of the season. Credit: Supplied

The five were suspended by the Swans for the remainder of the season after the club determined they had breached behavioural standards by drinking, staying out late and bringing women back to the hotel.

The fallout has also prompted questions about the club’s culture.

Code Sports has reported there had been previous concerns within football circles about Swans players partying heavily while outside Sydney, despite the club’s reputation for maintaining a strong off-field culture.

Cox said on Friday that players did not have a formal curfew but were expected to make appropriate decisions when out.

Meanwhile, lawyers representing the women involved have indicated they are preparing potential civil proceedings against the club and individuals involved.

“We are currently investigating the circumstances and preparing to commence legal proceedings against the club and potentially the individuals involved,” Carbone Lawyers partner Manny Carbone told The Age on Friday.

“Our clients are extremely traumatised and feel that their dignity and personal rights have been seriously violated by the events of Monday.”

While Carbone lawyer John Karantzis told 7NEWS “a compensation claim will be pursued”, saying the women had received some money but alleging there were disputes over the payment for their services.

“They were paid some moneys, however the players actually represented themselves as carpenters to the females and asked for a discount. That’s what the allegation is,” Mr Karantzis said.

Mr Karantzis declined to comment in detail on allegations of drug use, saying those matters remained subject to the Victoria Police investigation.

1800 RESPECT: 1800 737 732

National Sexual Abuse and Redress Support Service: 1800 211 028

Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails