Eagle Bay fires: One home damaged, dozens evacuated as bushfire rages in South West
One home has been damaged and more than 60 people have fled to an evacuation centre as a massive bushfire continues to burn in WA’s South West.
The unpredictable and out-of-control blaze was sparked overnight in Meelup Regional Park, trapping anyone who was unable to evacuate before 3am.
More than 150 firefighters are on the scene, some from as far as Bridgetown, while aerial crews battle the blaze from above.
The fire has so far burned through 210 hectares of land.
Many residents are now trapped, with Department of Fire and Emergency Services advising it’s too late to leave and that “leaving would be deadly”.
Those outside the fire zone say they feel as though they have been given very little information, as they await a 2pm community meeting.
One Eagle Bay resident told The West Australian he had been travelling to the road block on Cape Naturaliste Road and Dunsborough Visitor Centre to try to get any information on his home.
“Luckily our power is still up and running, so we can check our CCTV and things are fine but I know the wineries and breweries close by have been affected so I just want to know what’s going on,” he said.
“We’ve now been told to visit the SES in Vasse and the evacuation centre in Busselton, but what good is that when we’re here in Dunsborough?
“Thankfully we were able to get out by 10pm, but we watched as people were evacuated over the night in just their pyjamas so we worry for them.”
Sleeping residents in the emergency warning area were by woken fireys and police banging on their doors at 1.30am Tuesday, telling them they needed to leave immediately.
Those who were unable to evacuate and are now trapped in the fire zone have been told to go to the safest places of last resort at Pullman Bunker Bay Resort and the Eagle Bay Community Hall.
It is not known how many people remain in the fire zone.
Department of Communities regional executive director south west Brendan Mooney said 65 people had registered at the evacuation centre located at Geographe Leisure Centre.
“All of the registered evacuees have come in since 3.30am, most of which appear to be holiday-makers plus a few residents,” he said.
“Those who have chosen to remain in town are now waiting for the community meeting tonight to find out more information.”
A community meeting will be held at the Geographe Leisure Centre from 2pm and will be live-streamed with the support of the City of Busselton for those unable to attend.
Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.
Sign up for our emails