Eagle Bay fires: Trapped locals and tourists preparing to be evacuated from Eagle Bay
Residents and holiday-makers stranded in Eagle Bay and Bunker Bay are set to be evacuated from the area on Tuesday afternoon.
Department of Fire and Emergency Services incident controller Blake Moore said people who wished to leave would be assisted out of the area by police, firefighters and rangers.
The convoy will leave from two community safe points — Eagle Bay Community Hall and The Pullman Bunker Bay Resort — at 4pm.
Those who would like to be evacuated have been urged to be ready and wait at the community safe points by 3.30pm.
“I just want to reinforce that this is not a forced evacuation,” Insp. Moore said.
“But once you left the area you will not be allowed back in until it has been made safe.”
Insp. Moore said there had been no property loss so far and firefighters were working to secure containment lines.
“We are expecting a wind change,” he said.
“So that will put some real pressure on the northern side containment line.
“The changing wind conditions are testing our firefighters
“But we have had some amazing saves throughout the night.”
Floreat couple Geoff and Yvonne Parnell are among those who are planning to evacuate from the area.
The pair had come to Bunker Bay for a holiday and had found themselves unable to escape last night.
“Things are calm here but (there’s) still some concern as fire had started to move this way,” Mr Parnell told The West Australian.
“We are feeling OK but still anxious.
“The area where we hiked and had lunch yesterday has been burnt. Hopefully (there’s been) no damage to assets and animals are safe.”
Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.
Sign up for our emails